30 Key Takeaways: The Educational Narrative
- The Educational Narrative is the most difficult part of the PLA Portfolio to generate. It takes lots of writing, including several drafts while incorporating feedback.
- Specific examples are the most powerful way to display your mastery of the Course Outcomes.
- Using terminology from the course displays expertise in the course material
- The Course Outcomes should guide you in choosing your specific examples. Your examples should reflect your learning of those Course Outcomes.
- Educational Narratives are divided into a series of questions that may each be 500-1000 words, but may be longer depending on your examples.
- Two effective kinds of examples are the Specific Example (“one day” or “one time”) and the Generalized Applied Knowledge Example (“many times/each time”).