1. Show the students slides 4-6 and introduce three different popular furniture stores throughout the Francophone world.
- Slide 4: EQ3 in Quebec, there are several locations throughout Canada. Prices tend to be average. EQ3 est un magasin de meubles ayant des succursales à travers le Canada. Les prix sont dans la moyenne.
- Slide 5: Leroy Merlin in France. There are several locations throughout Europe. People tend to shop here because it is cheaper. Prices could be compared to those at Walmart in the U.S. Leroy Merlin est en France. Il y en a plusieurs à travers l’Europe. Les gens font du shopping là puisque les prix sont similaires à ceux de Walmart.
- Slide 6: Nova Home, Haiti. One location in Port-au-Prince. Prices could be compared to IKEA. Nova Home est en Haïti. Il y a un seul magasin à Port-au-Prince. Les prix sont similaires à ceux d’IKEA
2. Students are going to practice buying furniture for their home. They will be given a budget for their living room and bedroom. They must carefully decide which items they would buy without going over the budget amount.
Aujourd’hui nous allons acheter des meubles pour nos domiciles! Je vais vous donner un budget pour la salle de séjour et votre chambre. Vous allez choisir des meubles parmi les choix, mais vous ne devez pas dépasser le budget!
3. Go through slides 7-10 and have students say which items they would buy within the budget and why.
Après avoir choisi vos meubles, dites “pourquoi” vous les avez choisis.
Ask the following question(s) to finish the activity:
- Où est-ce que tu achètes les meubles pour ta chambre ?
- Where do you buy furniture for your room?
- Quel est le plus important ? La qualité ou le prix ?
- What is more important? The quality of the price?
End of Activity:
- Can-Do statement check-in… “Where are we?”
- Read can-do statements and have students evaluate their confidence.
- Encourage students to be honest in their self-evaluation
- Pay attention, and try to use feedback for future activities!
NCSSFL-ACTFL Can-Do Statements:
- I can talk about my current living situation.
- I can talk about furniture and their prices.
- I can recognize the difference between furniture from my culture and the French speaking world.
Feeling creative? The Pathways Project needs your help in remixing activities for the K-12 classroom.
Try taking an activity to the next level by:
- Add new content (something you’ve created or another OER source)
- Contribute additional activity suggestions
- Integrate authentic materials such as videos, infographics, photos, etc.
- Suggest how to implement the activity in the classroom
- Customize the content for a specific audience or group of learners (for example, K-5 learners or to differentiate for student’s needs)
We want to make it easy to share back with the larger Pathways Project Community! Simply, click this link to remix this activity. Please consider sharing your remixed activity with us by emailing the activity link to Pathwaysproject@boisestate.edu so that Pathways continues to grow!