Spanish Level 3- Face-to-Face Activities
Semantic Topics: Interest, bingo, situations, preferences, technology, defend opinions, likes, dislikes, hobbies, interés, bingo, situaciones, preferencias, tecnología, defender opiniones, gustos, disgustos, pasatiempos
Grammatical Structures: Questions in Spanish, present perfect, preguntas en español, el presente perfecto
Products: Emotions, interests, opinions
Practices: Sharing emotions, interests, and opinions
Perspectives: What is the importance of expressing feelings, interests, and opinions?
Relevant ACTFL World-Readiness Standards:
- Standard 1.1 Students engage in conversations, provide and obtain information, express feelings and emotions, and exchange opinions.
- Standard 1.2 Students understand and interpret spoken and written Spanish on a variety of topics.
- Standard 1.3 Students present information, concepts, and ideas in Spanish to an audience of listeners or readers on a variety of topics.
Relevant Idaho State Standards:
- COMM 1.1 – Interact and negotiate meaning (spoken, signed, written conversation) to share information, reactions, feelings, and opinions
- COMP 1.1 – Observe formal and informal forms of language.
- COMT 1.2 – Discuss personal preferences in activities and events both within and beyond the classroom.
- COMM 3.1 – Present information, concepts, and ideas to inform, explain, persuade, and narrate on a variety of topics using appropriate media in the target language.
Relevant NCSSFL-ACTFL Can-Do Statements:
- I can give reasons for my preference
- I can chat with a partner to defend and support my position for why I believe one opinion is more relevant than another
- I can create open-ended questions in order to spark conversation with my partner Materials
- Begin by introducing the Can-Dos for today’s activity and distributing the “Materials Required for Warm Up” to each student.
Hola clase. Hoy, vamos a conocernos. Primero, voy a leer los can-do statements.
- There will be two lines of people and seven questions on the screen. The students will talk in partners, and they have 30 seconds to ask and answer the question of their choice. Once done, one line will rotate down a person to create new partners.
Tienen que estar en dos filas. En parejas, ustedes van a escoger 1 pregunta de la lista en la pantalla. Tienen 30 segundos para preguntar y contestar la pregunta. Después van a cambiar las parejas y una fila va a moverse.
- Have students scan the QR code or have them use physical materials. Students will ask each other questions based on the images on the bingo cards
Hagan preguntas abiertas sobre los temas en las tarjetas. Por ejemplo, una pregunta sobre la tecnología es: ¿Prefieres Android o Apple? ¿Por qué?
- Once the student answers, they sign that square. Then the other person can ask a question.
Después de responder, escribe su nombre en el cuadrado.
- Students should try to get a blackout (getting a signature on each square) or bingo (by asking students questions about pictures in a row) Do whatever you have more time for (blackout takes longer)
La meta es para obtener un “blackout” con firmas en cada cuadrado.
- Ask the following question as a wrap-up:
- ¿Qué han aprendido sobre tus compañeros durante la actividad? (What did you learn about your classmates during the activity?)
End of Activity
- Read Can-Do statements once more and have students evaluate their confidence. (Use thumbs up/thumbs down or download our student cards.)
- Encourage students to be honest in their self-evaluation.
- Pay attention, and try to use feedback for future activities!
- I can give reasons for my preference
- I can chat with a partner to defend and support my position on why I believe one opinion is more relevant than another
- I can create open-ended questions in order to spark conversation with my partner
- Learn more about the Lotería Google Doodle and associated game
- Online version of Lotería
- Article on the history of Lotería
- “It Needed to Be Modernized.’ The Artists Recreating Lotería, the Iconic Mexican Game of Bingo,” Time Magazine Article
- Millennial Lotería (Instagram Account)
Feeling creative? The Pathways Project needs your help in revising and remixing activities for the K-16 language classroom.
Try taking an activity to the next level by:
- Add new content (something you’ve created or another OER source)
- Contribute additional activity suggestions
- Integrate authentic materials such as videos, infographics, photos, etc.
- Suggest how to implement the activity in the classroom
- Customize the content for a specific audience or group of learners (for example, K-5 learners or to differentiate for student’s needs)